We were one of the first general practices in the country to offer our own blood transfusion service
If your pet was ever ill, needing surgery, or involved in an accident and lost a lot of blood, you might well take it for granted that replacement stocks would be readily available to help them. However, as with humans, blood stocks largely depend on the number of donors who are willing to help.
At The Shrubbery, we were amongst the first vet practices in the country to provide our own blood donation and transfusion system. Our register of pet donors means that if your pet needs a transfusion we can source the blood they need much more efficiently, rather than having to wait for a delivery from the national blood bank.
We are always keen to register new dog and cat donors to ensure that our blood stocks remain well supplied. After all, it could be your pet that needs a transfusion one day.
The donation process is very simple – all donors must meet the following criteria:
- Donors must be healthy, with no pre-existing conditions, and must be fully up-to-date with their vaccinations
- They must never have travelled outside the UK
- Dogs must be between 2 and 7 years old and weigh over 25kg
- Cats must be between 2 and 9 years old and weigh over 4.5kg
- All donors must have a good temperament – to allow us to collect a donation!
New donors will first have a test sample taken to check they are suitable, and will then only be contacted when an animal comes in who needs a transfusion. The donation itself is as efficient and pain-free as possible; we will collect around 450ml from a dog donor and 20ml from a cat, typically from the jugular vein on their neck. Afterwards your pet will be able to have a little rest and something to eat, and will then be free to return home with you.
- We now have a quiet area off the main waiting r...